Many patients have heard the term “mercury toxicity” associated with fillings but still have many questions about it: what is it, am I affected by it, and what can be done to remediate it?
Fillings are made of a substance called dental amalgam. This is a mixture of metals, consisting primarily of mercury. Mercury amalgam has been used as a dental filling material around the world since ancient times and in the United States for nearly 200 years.
The question of whether or not mercury amalgam fillings contribute to mercury exposure is hotly debated.
–Many dentists believe that amalgam fillings, in use for more than 150 years in this country, are safe and that only a small percentage of the population shows sensitivity to mercury in fillings. This is the position of the American Dental Association (ADA); however, the organization also supports ongoing research to assure the safety of all materials used in dental work.
–Many toxicologists associate great risk with the use of mercury amalgam fillings. One researcher, Andrew Cutler, has argued that “millions of people are being poisoned by mercury compounds the medical profession is exposing them to.”
Even among the doctors and researchers who agree that the use of mercury amalgam is problematic, there is debate about whether the preferred option is safe amalgam removal or leaving existing amalgam in place.
Among the latter, common arguments against the procedure include:
–All the mercury has already leaked out.
–Additional tooth structure will be lost by removing existing dental work.
–The patient will be exposed to toxic levels of mercury vapor being released as the fillings are drilled out.
The comprehensive protocols established by The Center for Systemic Dentistry ensure a thorough process for safe amalgam removal. Located in Berkeley Heights, New Jersey, we are committed to being the state’s leading dental practice that focuses on holistic, healing-focused dentistry. Dr. Philip Memoli is ready to help you recover your health so you can begin to lead a life free of mercury toxicity.
For more information CONTACT INFO
438 Springfield Ave Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922
Phone: (908) 464-9144